If you’re a proud iPhone owner, you would know that the device is packed with a ton of features. From snappy performance to a superb camera, it seems that Apple has thought of everything. But did you know that you can also change the number of rings on an iPhone? It’s true! By default, your phone will only ring a few times before going to voicemail, leaving you frustrated and potentially missing important calls.
In this article, we will guide you on how to change the number of rings on an iPhone, so your phone rings more times before going to voicemail. There are several ways to do it, and we’ll show you step-by-step how to get it done. So let’s dive right in!
Why You Need to Change the Number of Rings on An iPhone
Changing the number of rings on an iPhone can have several benefits:
- You can avoid missed calls: By default, iPhones go to voicemail after just a few rings. If you’re unable to answer your call in that brief window, you will end up missing it entirely. By changing the number of rings, you can give yourself more time to respond and talk to your caller.
- You can customize your phone: Everyone has their preferences when it comes to the number of rings they want to hear before they pick up a call. By changing this number, you can set your phone to ring for however long you like.
Method 1: Using the Phone App
The first method to change the number of rings on an iPhone involves using the phone app. It’s a straightforward process that should only take a few minutes to complete.
Here are the steps:
- Launch the phone app on your iPhone
- Tap on the "Keypad" icon at the bottom of the screen
- Dial the following code: *#61# and click "Call"
- Your iPhone will display the current number of seconds permitted for your phone to ring before it goes to voicemail. Note the number of seconds
- If you want to change the number of seconds, dial **61*+1YYYYYYYYY**N# and hit "Call", where YYY-YYY-YYYY is your voicemail retrieval number and N is the number of seconds you want your phone to ring before going to voicemail.
- Wait for the message "Setting Activation Succeeded"
- Hang up your phone and restart it
- Easy to use
- Works on all iPhones
- Does not require additional software
- Does not work for all cellular network providers
- Requires the voicemail retrieval number, which may not be accessible for some users
Method 2: Using Carrier Services
Some cellular network providers allow their users to change the number of rings through their carrier services. It’s worth checking if your carrier offers this feature, as it can be more convenient than other methods.
Here’s how to do it:
- Call your carrier’s customer service helpline
- Select the phone settings option from the menu
- Follow the automated instructions to change the number of rings
- If the option is not available, ask a customer service representative to assist you in changing the number of rings
- Easy to use
- No need to access the phone settings
- Works for most cellular network providers
- Requires a phone call to customer service
- Not all carriers offer this feature
Method 3: Using Third-Party Apps
There are also a few third-party apps available in the App Store that can help you adjust the number of rings on your iPhone. These apps may require you to pay a small fee, but they can offer additional features besides just changing the number of rings.
Here’s how to do it:
- Search for "Custom Number of Rings" in the App Store
- Select a third-party app of your choice and download it
- Follow the app’s instructions to customize the number of rings on your iPhone
- Allows for additional customization options
- No need to access phone settings
- Works for most iPhones
- May require the use of paid apps
- Not all third-party apps are reliable
What to Do If You Can’t Change the Number of Rings on An iPhone
There can be a few reasons why you may not be able to change the number of rings on your iPhone. Here are some fixes you can try:
- Restart your iPhone and try the method again
- Ensure that you have entered the correct code or dialling sequence
- Contact your carrier’s customer service for further assistance
- Check if your version of the iOS operating system is up-to-date
Bonus Tip: Set Up Voicemail Transcriptions on Your iPhone
Another useful feature that iPhone users can take advantage of is voicemail transcriptions. With this feature, your iPhone will automatically transcribe your voicemail messages into text form. This can be helpful if you’re in a meeting or a loud environment, and you can’t listen to your voicemails. Here’s how to set it up:
- Go to the "Settings" app on your iPhone
- Select "Phone" from the list of options
- Toggle on the option "Transcription"
Q1: Will changing the number of rings affect my voicemail settings?
A: No, changing the number of rings will not affect your voicemail settings. You can still access and customize your voicemail as usual.
Q2: Does changing the number of rings work if I have my phone on silent mode?
A: No, changing the number of rings will not work if your phone is on silent mode. Make sure to check your settings to ensure that your phone is set to ring audibly when receiving calls.
Q3: How long can I set my phone to ring before going to voicemail?
A: The number of seconds you can set your phone to ring before going to voicemail depends on your cellular network provider. Typically, it ranges from 10 to 30 seconds.
Q4: Why is it important to change the number of rings on my iPhone?
A: Changing the number of rings can help you avoid missed calls and customize your phone to your preferences. It can also help you stay connected with important contacts.
Q5: Can I customize the number of rings for individual contacts?
A: No, you cannot customize the number of rings for individual contacts. The number of rings is set globally for all calls you receive.
Changing the number of rings on an iPhone is a simple yet useful feature that every iPhone user should know. By following the methods outlined in this article and the bonus tip, you can customize your phone to your preferences and stay connected to important contacts. Remember, if one method doesn’t work, try out the others for the best results.