Android TV is a household name when it comes to streaming devices, however, Google TV has recently emerged as the latest competitor. Unlike Android TV, Google TV promises personalized content recommendations from a wide range of entertainment services. While Android TV is still very popular, many users are eager to experience the new Google TV. If you are one of those users, you don’t have to go buy a new device. This article will help you learn how to convert Android TV to Google TV.
The Challenge of Converting Android TV to Google TV
Now you might be wondering, "Why can’t I just download an update?" Well, the truth is it’s not that simple. Google TV has some additional features that Android TV does not have, which means that it requires a completely new operating system. The good news is that with a few simple steps, you can turn your Android TV into a Google TV with a customized home screen featuring personalized content recommendations.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before you start the conversion process, there are a few things you should prepare for:
- A fully charged Android TV device
- A stable WiFi connection
- A USB drive with at least 2 GB of free space
- A computer with a USB port and a web browser
- Some free time and patience
Method 1: Using the Developer Options
This method involves enabling the developer options on your Android TV and installing Google TV via the ADB command line.
- Enable developer options on your Android TV by going to Settings > About > Build and repeatedly tap on "Build number" until you see the message “You are now a developer”
- Connect your Android TV to your computer via USB and ensure that USB debugging is enabled on your device by going to Settings > Developer options > Debugging > USB debugging [ON]
- Download the Google TV installation zip file from a reputable website and extract the file to your computer
- Open the command prompt on your computer and navigate to the directory where you saved the extracted Google TV installation files
- Connect your USB drive to your computer and copy the extracted files to the USB drive
- Connect the USB drive to your Android TV and use the file manager on your Android TV to access the files on the USB drive
- Open the Google TV zip file from your USB drive
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Google TV on your Android TV
- Easy to follow steps
- Customizable home screen
- Better content recommendations
- Risk of bricking your device if not done correctly
- Requires a USB drive and computer
Method 2: Side-loading Google TV APKs onto Android TV
This method involves downloading and installing the Google TV APKs directly on your Android TV.
- Download a third-party file manager such as Filelinked or ES File Explorer on your Android TV from the Google Play Store
- Download the Google TV APKs from a reputable website
- Launch the file manager and navigate to the download folder where the APKs are stored
- Install the APKs one by one. Start with Google TV Home, then the three libraries: Leanback, Leanback DIAL, and AndroidX
- Reboot your Android TV
- No need for a computer or USB drive
- Quick and easy installation process
- Risk of malware if downloading APKs from untrusted sources
- Can be challenging for less tech-savvy individuals to install APKs
Method 3: Using an Android TV Box
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of converting your Android TV to Google TV manually, you can buy an Android TV box that comes with Google TV pre-installed.
- Research Google TV-enabled Android TV boxes online to find one that fits your budget and streaming needs
- Purchase the Android TV box and wait for it to arrive
- Connect the Android TV box to your TV and set it up according to the instructions provided
- No need to manually install Google TV on your Android TV
- Better streaming performance compared to Android TV devices
- Comes with pre-installed Google TV
- Requires an additional expense
- Box design may not fit your current home entertainment setup
Why Can’t I Convert My Android TV to Google TV?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to convert your Android TV to Google TV. Here are some common issues and how to fix them:
1. Your Android TV device is not compatible with Google TV. Check if your device is compatible with Google TV before attempting to install it. If it is not compatible, you may need to purchase a new device or Android TV box.
2. You have not enabled USB debugging on your device. Enable USB debugging by following the steps listed in Method 1.
3. You have not downloaded the correct Google TV files. Ensure that you have downloaded the correct Google TV files from a reputable website.
If you experience any problems during the conversion process, here are some additional tips:
- Always download files from reputable websites to avoid malware or viruses
- Make sure your Android TV device is fully charged before starting the conversion process
- Follow the instructions carefully to avoid bricking your Android TV device
- Back up your important files before attempting any modifications on your Android TV device
5 FAQs about Converting Android TV to Google TV
Q1: How do I know if my device is compatible with Google TV?
A: Check the Google TV website for a list of compatible devices or do a quick Google search to see if your Android TV device is on the compatibility list.
Q2: Is it possible to revert my Android TV back to its original operating system?
A: Yes, it is possible. You can factory reset your device to return it to its original state.
Q3: Can I install Google TV on an Android phone or tablet?
A: No, Google TV is only available on Android TV devices.
Q4: What should I do if my device doesn’t boot after installing Google TV?
A: If your device doesn’t boot after installing Google TV, try power cycling it by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. If that doesn’t work, try a factory reset.
Q5: Will converting my Android TV to Google TV void my warranty?
A: Yes, converting your Android TV to Google TV may void your warranty. Make sure to read your device’s warranty terms and conditions before proceeding with any modifications.
Converting your Android TV to Google TV can be a challenging process, but with the right tools and instructions, you can make it a success. We hope this article has provided you with valuable insights and detailed steps on how to convert Android TV to Google TV. Remember to follow the steps carefully and exercise caution to avoid damaging your device. Happy streaming!