In today’s highly digitized world, smartphones have become an indispensable part of our lives. Apple’s iPhone series, known for its sleek design and impressive features, has gained immense popularity among users. However, like any electronic device, iPhones can encounter issues at times. One common problem that iPhone users face is the unresponsive touch screen. When this happens, it can be incredibly frustrating and hinder the device’s functionality. In this blog post, we will explore different methods to restart an iPhone 14 when the touch screen is not working properly.
The Challenge of Restarting iPhone 14 When Touch Is Not Working
Rebooting your iPhone is often the first step in troubleshooting when you face touch screen issues. However, when the touch is unresponsive, the traditional method of restarting the device can’t be used. This creates a challenge as users are left wondering how they can resolve this issue without the ability to interact with their iPhone’s screen. Fortunately, there are alternative methods that can be employed to restart an iPhone 14 in such situations.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before attempting any of the methods mentioned in this blog post, it is essential to ensure you have the following items ready:
1. A computer or laptop with the latest version of iTunes installed.
2. A Lightning cable or USB-C cable, depending on the charging port of your iPhone 14.
3. A stable internet connection to download any required updates.
4. A soft cloth or microfiber cloth to clean the iPhone screen.
Method 1: How to Restart iPhone 14 via Buttons
Restarting your iPhone 14 using the physical buttons is the most commonly used method. Before proceeding with the steps below, make sure your iPhone is charged, or connect it to a power source if necessary.
1. Press and hold the Power button, located on the right side of the iPhone, and the Volume Up or Volume Down button simultaneously.
2. Continue holding the buttons until the "Slide to Power Off" slider appears on the screen.
3. Release the buttons and swipe the slider from left to right to power off your iPhone.
4. Once the screen goes completely black, press and hold the Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
|Pros||1. Easy and quick method||2. Does not require a computer or internet connection||3. Does not erase any data on the iPhone|
|Cons||1. Requires functioning physical buttons on the iPhone||2. May not work if the issue is not related to the operating system||3. Does not fix hardware-related touch screen problems|
Method 2: How to Restart iPhone 14 via AssistiveTouch
If the physical buttons on your iPhone 14 are not working, you can utilize the AssistiveTouch feature to restart your device. AssistiveTouch creates a virtual button on the screen that can be used to replicate the functionality of the physical buttons.
Before proceeding with the steps below, make sure you have enabled AssistiveTouch in the Accessibility settings of your iPhone.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Go to Accessibility > Touch > AssistiveTouch.
3. Enable the AssistiveTouch toggle switch.
4. A small floating button will appear on the screen. Tap on it to open the AssistiveTouch menu.
5. Tap on Device.
6. Tap and hold the Lock Screen button until the "Slide to Power Off" slider appears.
7. Release the button and swipe the slider from left to right to power off your iPhone.
8. Once the screen goes completely black, press and hold the Lock Screen button again until the Apple logo appears.
|Pros||1. Works even if the physical buttons are not functional||2. Can be used as an alternative to the physical buttons in other scenarios as well||3. Does not require a computer or internet connection|
|Cons||1. Requires prior activation of AssistiveTouch in Accessibility settings||2. May temporarily cover a portion of the screen||3. Does not fix hardware-related touch screen problems|
Method 3: How to Restart iPhone 14 via Finder or iTunes
If your iPhone 14 is not responding to touch, you can also utilize Finder on macOS Catalina or later, or iTunes on Windows or macOS Mojave or earlier, to restart your device.
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a Lightning or USB-C cable.
2. Open Finder (macOS Catalina or later) or iTunes (Windows or macOS Mojave or earlier).
3. Select your iPhone from the list of devices.
4. In Finder, click on the "General" tab. In iTunes, click on "Summary" in the left sidebar.
5. Look for the "Restart" option and click on it.
6. A confirmation prompt will appear. Click on "Restart" to proceed.
7. Wait for your iPhone to restart, and the process should fix any software-related touch screen issues.
|Pros||1. Can be done using a computer||2. Useful when physical buttons or AssistiveTouch are not working||3. May fix software-related touch screen problems|
|Cons||1. Requires a computer with Finder or iTunes installed||2. May require downloading and installing updates if prompted||3. Does not fix hardware-related touch screen problems|
Method 4: How to Restart iPhone 14 via iCloud
If the above methods do not work or you do not have access to a computer, restarting your iPhone 14 via iCloud is another option. This method requires Find My iPhone to be enabled on your device.
1. On a computer or another iOS device, open a web browser and visit the iCloud website (www.icloud.com).
2. Log in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password.
3. Click on the "Find iPhone" icon.
4. Select your iPhone from the list of devices.
5. Click on the "Erase iPhone" option. This will erase all data on your device, but since your iPhone is not responding to touch, this may be the only option left.
6. Once the erasing process is complete, restart your iPhone by pressing and holding the Power button until the Apple logo appears.
|Pros||1. Can be done remotely without a physical computer||2. Useful when all other methods fail||3. Allows for erasing the device if necessary|
|Cons||1. Erases all data on the device (requires data backup)||2. Requires Find My iPhone to be enabled||3. Does not fix hardware-related touch screen problems|
Why Can’t I Restart My iPhone 14 When the Touch Is Not Working?
There are several reasons why you may not be able to restart your iPhone 14 when the touch screen is not working. Some of these reasons include:
1. Software Glitch: A software glitch or system bug may prevent the device from responding to touch input.
2. Hardware Damage: Physical damage to the iPhone’s touch screen or internal components can render it unresponsive.
3. System Crash: A system crash or freeze can cause the touch screen to stop working temporarily.
4. Unresponsive App: An app running in the background may be causing the touch screen to become unresponsive.
To address these issues, you can try the methods mentioned earlier in this blog post. However, if the problem persists, it is recommended to contact Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance.
Here are a few additional tips that can help you troubleshoot touch screen issues on your iPhone 14:
1. Clean the Screen: Use a soft cloth or microfiber cloth to clean the iPhone screen. Dust, fingerprints, or smudges can interfere with touch sensitivity.
2. Remove Screen Protector: If you have a screen protector installed, try removing it temporarily to see if it improves touch responsiveness.
3. Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone 14 is running the latest version of iOS. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements for touch screen performance.
5 FAQs about Restarting iPhone 14 When Touch Is Not Working
Q1: Can a frozen iPhone be restarted without accessing the touch screen?
A: Yes, if your iPhone is frozen and unresponsive, you can perform a force restart by following the steps mentioned in Method 1 or Method 2.
Q2: Will restarting my iPhone erase my data?
A: No, restarting your iPhone will not erase any data. However, if you choose to perform a factory reset or erase your iPhone via iCloud, it will result in data loss.
Q3: None of the methods mentioned in the blog post worked for me. What should I do?
A: If none of the methods work, it is recommended to contact Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for professional assistance.
Q4: Is it possible to fix a physically damaged touch screen on my iPhone?
A: Yes, a physically damaged touch screen can be repaired or replaced by Apple or authorized service providers. However, it is advisable to consult with a professional for an accurate assessment.
Q5: Can I restart my iPhone by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?
A: It is not recommended for users to disconnect or tamper with the battery of their iPhones. Doing so may cause further damage and void the device’s warranty.
When faced with an unresponsive touch screen on your iPhone 14, it can be frustrating to navigate through the issue. However, by following the methods mentioned in this blog post, you can restart your iPhone and potentially resolve touch screen problems. Whether it’s through the physical buttons, AssistiveTouch, Finder/iTunes, or iCloud, each method offers a viable solution depending on your circumstances. Remember to try these methods before seeking professional assistance or service.